INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR QTOPIA AND OPENMOKO ONTO A1200 or Rokr E6
Here is a Step-By-Step Guide on Installing OpenMoko or Qtopia in A1200 or E6
1. A Linux PC
2. OpenMoko image (or)Qtopia Image
3. A Kernel Image to Boot With Get the suitable one for ur phone here.
4. And Ofcourse an A1200 or E6.
Step 1: Prepare your SD card for the installation.
Connect your phone via Mass Storage Mode.
1. Open Terminal(Applications>>Terminal incase of Ubuntu Live Session).
2. Type in 'fdisk /dev/sda'
+300M(or any size)
3. Now you have created the partition table,now lets format the memory card.
sudo mkdosfs /dev/sda1
sudo mke2fs /dev/sda2
when it says that the partition is mounted, unmount the partition by giving sudo umount /dev/sda2(or sda1)
Step 2: Extract the image onto the card.
1. type in at the Terminal,
sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo tar jxvpf (path to the image of qtopia or openmoko) [sudo tar jxvpf ~/Desktop/Qtopia-4.3.0-snapshot-25102007 -2.6.23-1-r1-a780.tar.bz2 in my case].
sync(wait till it finishes)
sudo umount /mnt
Note:for extraction of images,there are various file formats of images(.tar,.tar.bz2,.tar.gz,etc.,you are required to use those specified commands to extract the images.
for eg, we use sudo tar jxvpf (path to image) for tar.bz2 files.
If you are using tar.gz files, use sudo tar -jxvf (path to image)
Remove the connection from the PC.
Step 3: Kernel Booting
We have completed almost 90% of the installation process, we are now to pass the kernel to the phone's RAM and boot with the given kernel.
1. Download ezx-boot-usb
2. Open Terminal window and switch to the path of the downloaded ezx-boot-usb using cd command(cd ~/Desktop/Downloads incase of mine).
3. Type in the following
sudo chmod +x ezx-boot-usb
4. Now this is the last command where we are passing the kernel to the ram of the phone,so we need to switch the phone into bootloader mode.
To switch the phone into bootloader mode,
For A1200, hold down the Camera Key + Voice Recog. Key + Power On the phone.
For E6, Hold down the Camera Key + Power On the phone.
Now you will get a Red colored screen on phone.
5. Connect your Phone thru the USB cable and type in at the Terminal as
sudo ./ezx-boot-usb (path to the kernel image) [sudo ./ezx-boot-usb ~/Desktop/images/zImage-18.104.22.168-ezxWM-20080217-e6 in my case]
6. Now you will see some random text shown in Terminal,this is nothing but it is transferring the image to the RAM of the phone.
7. When this finishes, you can see that your phone displays some funny colors and starts booting Linux!
8. Relax Back and see your phone running OpenMoko or Qtopia.
S Kiran Subramaniam